Safety and Security

3 min. readlast update: 10.17.2023

London is generally a safe city and we hope that you will feel secure during your time at International Studets House. It is, however, important that you take some common-­sense measures to keep yourself and your belongings safe: 

● The emergency number in the UK is 999 and this can be used to call the Police, Ambulance and Fire Service. It should only ever be used in a real emergency (if somebody’s life or property is in danger). 

● If the emergency takes place on ISH premises, please alert the Duty Manager (020 7631 8375) before calling 999 

● In a non­-emergency situation call 101 to contact the police, report a crime etc. 

● Residents must wear their ISH lanyards (available with your keycard from Reception) when moving around the building, so that all staff know you are a genuine resident. This will help keep the building secure for all.

● Do not give your bedroom key to anyone. If it is lost or stolen, please report it to the Duty Manager. 

Please do not let intruders into the building. Be aware of anyone who is behind you as you are entering the residence and do not allow unknown people to follow you in to the accommodation area.

● Report any person acting suspiciously in or around ISH to the Duty Manager or a member of staff. 

● If a suspicious object is found, do not move it or touch it, but report it immediately to the Duty Manager or any member of staff. 

● Mobile phone snatching by moped riders is a common crime in central London. Please take care when using your device out on the street  

● Always keep your valuables in a safe and secure place in your bedroom, ideally a lockable drawer if you have one. International Students House does not take responsibility for any lost or stolen items. 

● Keep your bedroom door locked when you are not present in the room, even if you only leave the room for a few minutes. If any items are stolen from an unlocked room, your insurance cover is not valid. 

● Never leave your belongings unattended in public places (including within International Students House): always keep a close eye on your bags. 

● If you need to prove your age in a shop, pub or club, it is recommended that you buy a PASS card, rather than carrying your passport or visa with you. You are not required to carry your passport or visa by law and the PASS card is much easier and cheaper to replace if it gets lost.

● We recommend that you travel around London in a group, especially at night or if you have been drinking alcohol. Always make sure that you use a licensed taxi company: or travel in a London ‘Black Cab’.​  

● Please exercise care when using ATMs around London, shielding your pin number from others. 

● Do not carry a knife or other weapon for self-defence, such as a pepper spray or stun guns. The use of such items is illegal and could lead to arrest or a fine.

Was this article helpful?